As the most popular instant messaging app, WhatsApp offers you endless ranges of useful and interesting features. The app is now used by millions of users from all over the world.
While the instant messaging app offers more features than its competitors, it still lacks a few important ones. For example, WhatsApp is still unable to translate messages on the platform.
Sometimes you receive messages on WhatsApp that are difficult to understand just because of the language.
It’s a common problem, especially if you have a friend who doesn’t speak a common language. Also have the option to Translate WhatsApp messages can be a great addition, especially when dealing with overseas clients.
Translate WhatsApp messages (3 methods)
While WhatsApp doesn’t let you translate messages, you can still translate messages in simple steps with a few workarounds. Below we have shared a few easy methods to translate WhatsApp messages. Let’s start.
1. Translate WhatsApp messages with Gboard
This is the easiest way to translate WhatsApp messages. If you’re using an Android smartphone, Gboard is your default keyboard app. Here is how to translate whatsapp messages on Android with Gboard.
1. Download and install it first Gbord app on your Android if it is not installed. If it’s already installed, update it from the Google Play Store.
2. Launch the WhatsApp app on your smartphone and open the conversation.
3. Now long press the text you want to translate and tap the three dots in the upper right corner.
4. Select ‘To copy‘ from the list of options that appears. Copies the text to the clipboard.
5. Now tap on WhatsApp message field. This will open the Gboard; tap the menu button and select ‘Translate‘.
6. Then paste the text you copied. You see the text is translated in real time in your selected language.
7. You can easily change the translated language by tapping the output language button.
That is it! It’s that easy to translate WhatsApp messages on Android using Gboard app.
2. Translate WhatsApp messages with Google Translate
The Google Translate app is available on the App Store for Android and iPhone. The great thing about Google Translate is that it can translate texts, photos and voices. Here’s how to use the Google Translate app to translate your WhatsApp messages.
1. Download and install it first Google translate app on your smartphone.
2. When the app opens, tap your profile picture in the upper right corner.
3. Select ‘Institutions‘ from the list of options that appears.
4. In Settings, tap ‘Tap to translate‘ choice.
5. On the Tap to Translate screen, switch the switch for:
- Use Tap to translate
- Show floating icon
- Automatically translate copied text
6. Now open WhatsApp and select the conversation in which you want to translate text.
7. Long press the text to select it. Once selected, tap the floating ‘Google translateicon.
8. This will open Google Translate in a floating window. You can see the … text translation. You can switch languages, let Google Translate speak the text, etc.
That is it! Here’s how you can use Google Translate to translate WhatsApp messages on Android to any language.
3. Translate WhatsApp messages on Google Pixel
If you have a Google Pixel 6, you can use the live translation feature to translate your WhatsApp messages. Live Translate is introduced on the Pixel 6 series and is even available on the Pixel 7 series.
The feature enables real-time translation. Whenever it detects a text in a different language than what your phone is using, you can translate it into your language.
This is a useful feature, but currently it’s only limited to Pixel smartphones. If you have a Pixel 6 or later, follow these steps to translate your WhatsApp messages.
- First open the Institutions app on your Pixel smartphone.
- When the Settings app opens, tap the System.
- On the system, select Translate Live. On the next screen, enable the ‘Use live translation‘ choice.
- Once done, choose your default language for translation.
- Go to WhatsApp and open the conversation.
- Now if the feature detects a language other than the default system language, you will be given the option to translate the text at the top.
- Tap the ‘Translate to (language)‘ on the top.
That is it! With this, the text messages on WhatsApp are translated in no time.
Other ways to translate WhatsApp messages?
Besides these three methods, there are other ways to translate WhatsApp messages. You can use third-party language translation apps to translate WhatsApp messages.
You even have the option of using online translators to translate the messages. All of these apps and services require manual text input on the translator.
So these are simple and easy methods to translate WhatsApp messages on Android to any language. If you need more help translating WhatsApp messages, let us know in the comments. And if the article helped you, share it with your friends.