Windows users may come across many problems with external speakers such as speakers not showing up on computer, sound is too low, speakers making weird noises, etc. Therefore, here in this article we will share some of the best methods to fix speakers that have stopped working on Windows 10 errors.
If you have been using Windows for a while, you may already know that the operating system is riddled with bugs. Windows users often get errors related to drivers, hardware, software and BSOD. A few Windows users have recently reported encountering unusual speaker stopped working windows 10 problem.
Many Windows users have messaged us about this speakers stopped working on Windows 10/11. So here in this article, we have discussed the speaker problems on Windows. Well, speaker problems on Windows 10 can ruin your computing experience because you cannot hear anything.
Speakers stopped working on Windows 10? Here’s how to fix it
Windows users may come across many problems with external speakers such as speakers not showing up on computer, sound is too low, speakers making weird sounds, etc. So here in this article we will share some of the best methods to fix speakers stopped working on Windows errors. So let’s see how to fix this speaker problems on Windows.
1) Check if the audio is muted
Before trying the other things, make sure the audio on your computer/laptop is not muted. Audio can be muted just by pressing the wrong button or hotkey.
So if the speakers stopped working on your Windows 10/11, the first thing you should do is check if the audio is muted. To unmute your audio, play an audio or video file and press the mute button on your keyboard.
You can also click the speaker icon in your system tray to mute or unmute the audio.
2) Check if the speakers are properly connected to the PC
The next best thing to do is to check that the speakers are properly connected to your PC/Laptop. You need to closely examine the speaker connection on your PC.
Unless you have a USB speaker or headphones, you’ll need to connect your audio device to a 3.5mm port. So make sure that the 3.5mm jack of your headphones or speaker is connected to the correct port.
3) Use the audio troubleshooter
Windows 10 offers a troubleshooting tool to fix hardware and software related issues for those who don’t know. You can use the Audio Troubleshooter tool to fix various audio related errors of Windows 10 computers. Even if it doesn’t fix the problem, it will let you know the real cause of the problem. So, here’s how you can use Audio Troubleshooter to fix speakers that stopped working on Windows 10.
1. First, open the search box and search for Troubleshooting.
2. Open the Troubleshooting page and click Troubleshoot audio playback issues.
3. In the next step, you will see another page asking you to troubleshoot audio playback. Just click ‘Next’.
4. Now the troubleshooting tool will scan and fix the audio related issues. You have to wait a few seconds.
That is it; you are done! The audio troubleshooter will fix the problem or let you know the actual cause of the problem.
4) Reinstall drivers
If you are experiencing speaker problems on Windows 10 computers, reinstalling the drivers may be your best bet. So in this method, we will reinstall the audio drivers to fix the speakers stopped working issue.
1. Search for Device administrator in the Windows 10 search box and open the first option.
2. On the Device Manager page, you need to expand it Sound, video and game controllers.
3. In the next step, right-click on the current sound card and select Properties. Under Properties, go to the Driver tab and select ‘Uninstall’
That is it; you are done! Now click on ‘Apply’ and restart your computer. The operating system automatically installs the required audio drivers during reboot.
5) Update the audio driver
As we all know that outdated audio drivers also lead to various sound related errors including the speakers stopped working. So in this method, we will update the audio driver through Device Manager to fix the Speaker has stopped working error message.
1. Search for Device administrator on the Windows search bar and open the first option.
2. Now you will see the Device Manager page. Here you need to expand it System device menu
3. Now in the list of system devices, locate the audio driver. Right-click on the audio driver and then select the option Update driver.
4. On the next page, you will be asked to select whether to select the drive manually or search the Internet. Select the first option and click ‘Next’
That is it; you are done! Here’s how to update audio drivers to fix speaker problems of Windows 10 computers.
6) Set the speaker device
Well, in this method, we will set the default speaker device to solve the speaker working problem. Windows updates often change the default audio playback device, leading to speaker problems. So, here’s how to set the default speaker device on Windows 10.
1. Click the Start menu and search for Sound. Open the first option from the list.
2. In the sound menu, select the Play tab.
3. Right-click on the device you want to set audio playback on, then click “Properties”
4. Under ‘Device usage’, select Using this device (Enable).
That is it; you are done! Now click on ‘Ok’ and then on ‘Apply’. Restart the computer and your speaker will now work properly.
7) Change the audio format
If the above methods fail to fix the speaker problem, you can try changing the audio format. Some Windows 10 users have reported on Microsoft Forum that they fixed the problem of the speaker becoming unresponsive or not working after changing the audio format. So follow some of the simple steps below to change the audio format.
1. First, right-click the speaker icon in the notification bar and then click Playback devices.
2. Now double click on the default playback device in the sound settings.
3. Select the audio format in the ‘Advanced’ tab. You should try a different audio format to check which one works.
That is it; you are done! Here’s how to fix speakers that stopped working for Windows 10 computer problems.
So, these are the best methods to fix speakers stopped working on Windows 10 computer problems. If you know other working methods to fix speaker problems on Windows, do let us know in the comment box below.