WhatsApp is a great instant messaging app to communicate and have fun with others. The instant messaging app is available for Android, iPhone and computer.
If you have been a regular user of WhatsApp, you may know that the app allows media sharing. It’s free to share photos and videos with others through the app.
As WhatsApp has become a mainstream communication app, it is important to be on time backup chat. On WhatsApp you get two options to back up your chat history – One via Google Drive and the other via local backup.
Best Ways to Restore WhatsApp Backup on Android
Depending on which options you selected in the backup and restore settings, you must connect to it to restore the backup. In this article, we have shared several ways to restore WhatsApp Backup on Android.
Restore WhatsApp Backup on Android (Google Drive)
If you’ve configured WhatsApp to back up your chat history to your Google Drive account, you’ll need to follow these steps to restore the backup. Here’s how to restore WhatsApp Backup on Android (Google Drive).
1. Long press the WhatsApp app icon and select To delete.
2. After uninstalling, open the Google Play Store and reinstall the WhatsApp app.
3. Select your language on the Welcome to the WhatsApp screen and tap the arrow icon at the bottom right.
4. Tap the Agree and continue button on the welcome screen.
5. Now you will be asked to enter your phone number. Enter your phone number and tap the Next one knob.
6. On the Verify phone number screen, tap the Get on knob.
7. WhatsApp will now find your recent backup file on Google Drive. Once found, click the To recover knob.
8. Now wait for WhatsApp to restore the chat backup from your Google Drive.
9. When you are done, tap the Next one knob.
10. Now you can use WhatsApp. All your old chats are restored along with the media files.
That is it! Here’s how to restore WhatsApp backup on Android via Google Drive.
Restore WhatsApp backup on Android from local backup
To restore your WhatsApp backup from the local backup, first make sure the Google Drive backup is disabled. Here’s how to confirm it.
1. Open WhatsApp and tap the three dots top right.
2. Select from the menu that appears Institutions.
3. In Settings, tap the To chat.
4. On the Chats screen, scroll down and tap Chat backup.
5. Tap the Backup to GoogleDrive choice.
6. At the prompt, select Back up to Google Drive Never.
7. Now under Last backup tap on the Backup.
That is it! This will back up your chat history to your local storage.
Restore WhatsApp chats from the most recent local backup
Now that the WhatsApp backup is saved to your local storage, you can easily restore it. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Delete the WhatsApp app on your Android.
- Open the Google Play Store and install the WhatsApp app.
- Now enter your phone number and verify it.
- Tap Restore to recover your chats and media from the local backup if requested.
That is it! Here’s how to restore WhatsApp Backup on Android from local storage.
Restore WhatsApp from older backups
If you want to restore from an older local backup, follow these steps instead. Here’s how to restore an older WhatsApp backup from internet storage on Android.
- Open the File Manager app on your smartphone.
- Now navigate to your local storage or SD card > WhatsApp > Databases.
- Now rename the backup file you want to restore from msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crypt12. You can also find the backup file named wa.db.crypt14.
Important: Do not change the crypt extension number at the end, such as crypt12 or crypt10.
- Once done, uninstall and reinstall the WhatsApp app.
- Tap when prompted To recover button and wait for the recovery process to complete.
That is it! Here’s how to restore WhatsApp from older backups on Android smartphones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How to recover WhatsApp messages on a new phone?
Recovering WhatsApp messages on a new phone is very easy. If your backup is stored on Google Drive, you can restore the backup by logging into your Google account on your phone. Just install WhatsApp and verify your phone number. You will be given the option to recover the messages from the Google Drive.
How to Restore WhatsApp Backup iPhone?
To restore your chat history from an iCloud backup first, check if an iCloud backup exists in WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup. After verification, you can reinstall WhatsApp and verify your phone number. After number verification, follow the prompts to recover WhatsApp Chat history on your iPhone.
How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages from one contact?
The app has no option to recover deleted WhatsApp messages from only one contact. However, if you’ve archived the chat, you can access the Archive folder and retrieve your chats.
Recover deleted WhatsApp messages without backup
While there is no option to recover deleted WhatsApp messages, several third-party apps claim to do so. The reliability of such third party apps is still unknown and it is recommended to avoid such tools.
Also Read: How to Send High Quality Photos on WhatsApp
So these are some of the best and easy methods to restore WhatsApp Backup on Android. If you need more help on how to restore WhatsApp backup from local storage or Google Drive, let us know in the comments below.