NVIDIA has made its name in the world of Graphics Processing Units. Yes, it has a few competitors, but it still produces better GPUs. Over the years, NVIDIA has served graphic designers, animators, video editors, and gamers by offering high-quality graphics chipsets at affordable price tags.
NVIDIA is also known for its good driver availability and customer support. We are talking about the NVIDIA graphics card because many users recently started getting an unusual error while updating or installing the NVIDIA Graphics driver.
Users get an error message that reads ‘NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows’. Don’t panic if you have installed an NVIDIA card and get this error while installing the drivers, don’t panic.
This article discusses the ‘NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows‘ error message. We will also share some best methods to fix the error message in simple steps.
What Is ‘NVIDIA Graphics Driver Is Not Compatible With This Version Of Windows’ Error?
The NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows error message usually appears while updating or installing the graphics driver.
If you read the error carefully, it turns out that the graphics driver you are trying to install is not compatible with your Windows version. This means you try one incompatible driver for your graphics card.
When it comes to driver ‘compatibility’, there can be many things. For example, you may encounter this error because you have a 32-bit driver on your 64-bit operating system.
Incompatibility can also mean the Windows build. You may be trying to install a driver on an incompatible Windows build. Another reason for this error is hardware failure. If your graphics card is not properly connected, the Nvidia drivers may not be able to detect it. So make sure that the graphics card is installed correctly.
Fix NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows
Now that you know the main reasons for the error message, you need to fix it. Here are some easy methods to fix the NVIDIA graphics driver incompatible with this version of Windows error message.
1) Make sure your computer has an NVIDIA graphics card
Well, if your PC has an AMD GPU and you try to install an NVIDIA graphics driver on it, you will get this error.
This solution may look strange, but mistakes happen. The best way to find out if you have an NVIDIA GPU is to check the DirectX report. Here’s what to do.
1. Press the Windows key + R button on your keyboard. This will open the RUN dialog box. In the dialog box, type RUN dxdiag and press the Enter button.
2. Then switch to the Display tab on the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
3. On the View tab, check the option Manufacturer. If Nvidia is listed, you have an NVIDIA GPU. If AMD is listed, you are trying to install the wrong driver.
That is it! Here’s how to check if your computer has an NVIDIA GPU.
2) Reinstall the NVIDIA graphics driver
If you get the NVIDIA graphics driver not compatible with this version of Windows error message while installing the latest graphics drivers, then you need to reinstall your existing NVIDIA graphics drivers. Here’s how to reinstall NVIDIA graphics drivers.
1. First, open Windows search and typing System configuration. Then open the System Configuration app from the list.
2. Switch to the Boot tab and to check the’Secure bootoption. Once done, click the Apply button and restart your computer.
3. After reboot, navigate to the Local Disk C > Program Files > Program Files (x86) and delete the NVIDIA Corporation folder.
4. Now open Windows Search and type Device Manager. Then open Device administrator from the list of options.
5. In Device Manager, right-click on the NVIDIA display adapter and select ‘Remove device‘.
6. Once uninstalled, open System Configuration again and disable Secure Boot option. You will be prompted to restart your PC.
7. Now open the NVIDIA official website and download the latest graphics driver for your PC.
8. Once downloaded, install it on your device.
That is it! Here’s how to reinstall the NVIDIA graphics driver on your Windows operating system.
3) Use NVIDIA GeForce Experience
NVIDIA GeForce Experience from NVIDIA is a very popular software suite designed to boost your PC’s gaming performance.
You can use it to download or update your existing NVIDIA graphics driver. So you can use NVIDIA GeForce Experience to download the most compatible version of the graphics driver for your PC.
- First download the NVIDIA GeForce experience on your PC.
- Launch NVIDIA GeForce Experience and go to the Driver tab.
- If your PC does not have a graphics driver, NVIDIA GeForce Experience will show you the Install button.
- Click the Install button to install the compatible NVIDIA graphics driver on your PC.
That is it! Here’s how to resolve the “NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows” error using NVIDIA GeForce Experience.
4) Update your Windows operating system
You need to install the pending Windows updates if nothing works for you. Both Windows 10 and Windows 11 are designed to install much-needed drivers automatically.
If you don’t want all the mess, it’s best to update the Windows operating system. Windows Update automatically finds and installs the most appropriate graphics driver for your graphics card.
1. First, open Windows Search and click Institutions.
2. In Settings, switch to WindowsUpdate.
3. Then click on the on the right side Check for updates knob.
That is it! Now Windows will automatically find and install the most appropriate graphics driver on your PC/Laptop.
Also Read: Download NVIDIA GeForce Experience Offline Installer
So, this guide is about how to fix the “NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows” error. We have shared all the working methods to fix the driver error. If you need more help fixing the NVIDIA Graphics driver error, let us know in the comments below.