Instagram’s recently launched Threads app is getting a lot of attention on social networking sites and has been called a “Twitter Killer” by many people.
While it is certainly a competitor to Twitter, whether it will kill Twitter or not, time will tell as it unfolds. Twitter has been making some silly changes lately, such as setting a speed limit on the number of posts users can view, selling the verified badge, etc.
The site went downhill in recent months, especially after being acquired by Elon Musk. So the announcement of Zuckerberg’s Threads app came at just the right time and had already marked its presence.
Almost all features of Threads by Instagram are similar to Twitter. You also have similar security features to protect your Threads account such as two-factor authentication.
What is threaded two-factor authentication?
Two-factor authentication is a security feature that adds a layer of security on top of your password login.
When the 2FA is enabled, after logging in with the password, you have to complete one more security step to access your account.
The Threads app gives you three different types of two-factor authentication methods; here they are.
Authentication app: If you choose this option, you’ll need to download an app that Threads recommends. The app generates a code that you must enter when you log in. The codes generated by the authenticator apps change in seconds.
Text message: The SMS authentication method SMS sends a code as SMS to your registered phone number. You must read and enter the code when you log in.
WhatsApp: With this authentication method, Threads sends you a text message on WhatsApp. However, to activate this authentication method, you must first enable the text message.
How to enable two-factor authentication on threads?
These are the three different types of two-factor authentication methods available in the Threads app. You can enable all of them to protect your Threads account from unauthorized access. Here’s how enable two-factor authentication on Threads.
1. Open the Threads app on your smartphone and tap the profile picture.
2. On the profile screen, tap the Menu icon top right.
3. This will open the Settings page. Scroll down and tap the account.
4. On the account screen, scroll down and tap Security.
5. Under Password & security, tap the Two-factor authentication.
6. Now you need to enable 2FA on your Instagram account. This is because Threads is closely associated with Instagram, and enabling the 2FA on Instagram will also enable the security feature on your Threads account.
7. On the Choose your security method, select your desired option. We recommend choosing the text message (SMS) as the security method. Choose the security method and tap Next one.
8. Now you will receive one one-time PIN on your registered phone number. Enter it in the app to enable the two-factor authentication on Threads and Instagram.
That is it! Here’s how to enable two-factor authentication on your Threads account.
How to save the login backup codes
After enabling the 2-factor authentication, you also have the option to save the backup codes. Backup codes can be used to log into your account if you lose access to your phone number. Here’s how to save the backup codes.
1. Open the Instagram app and tap your profile picture bottom right.
2. On the profile screen, tap the burger menu top right.
3. Navigate now Settings & Privacy > Account Center > Password & Security.
4. Under Password & security, tap the Two-factor authentication and select your account.
5. Select now Additional Methods > Backup Codes. Instagram gives you a few backup codes. You should store these codes in a safe place.
Backup Codes” width=”953″ height=”700″ srcset=”https://techviral.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/2FA-3-horz.jpg 953w, https://techviral.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/2FA-3-horz -300×220.jpg 300w, https://techviral.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/2FA-3-horz-768×564.jpg 768w, https://techviral.net/wp-content/uploads/2023 /07/2FA-3-horz-80×60.jpg 80w” size=”(max-width: 953px) 100vw, 953px”>
That is it! Whenever you lose access to your phone number or other authentication methods you’ve used, you can use these codes to log into your Threads account.
Also read: How to change your username on threads
Since Threads uses your Instagram account for identification, enabling the 2FA on Instagram will also enable the security feature on your Threads account. So, this guide is about enabling two-factor authentication on Threads. If this article helped you, please share it with your friends as well.