Threads, Instagram’s new app, is constantly making headlines in the popular news channel worldwide. The reason why the app went viral is simple: it was launched at the right time.
Just as users began to feel that Twitter wasn’t what it used to be, Mark Zuckerberg came up with Threads, a potential competitor to Twitter. The app gained millions of users within hours of its launch and broke many records.
Meta says Thread is an “Instagram text-based conversation app.” It’s an app that focuses more on texts than images and videos, and most of its features depend on your Instagram account.
To use the new Threads app, you need to download it from the App Store and log in with your Instagram account. Once you link your Instagram, the username will transfer to the threads and you will be able to follow the same people you follow on Instagram.
Linking Instagram with Threads is a good idea, but it still has a few drawbacks. The biggest drawback is that you can’t separate your Instagram and Threads account, and you can’t Delete Threads account without deleting your Instagram.
How to delete or deactivate your Threads account
How to deactivate your Threads profile?
While there is no option to delete Threads profile without deleting your Instagram, you can deactivate it. Deactivating the Threads account is quite easy and you don’t need to open Instagram’s settings. Here are the steps to deactivate Threads profile.
1. Open the Threads app on your Android or iPhone.
2. When the app opens, tap the profile icon in the bottom right corner of your screen.
3. On the profile screen, tap the menu icon (two lines) in the top right corner.
4. In Settings, tap the Account icon.
5. In the account settings, tap the Deactivate Profile.
6. Now tap on the Deactivate threads profile.
7. In the confirmation prompt, tap the Deactivate choice.
That is it! This will immediately deactivate your Threads profile. If you later change your mind and want to reactivate the profile, log back into the Threads app with your Instagram account.
How To Delete Threads Account?
As of now, there is no option to delete thread profiles individually. To delete your Threads profile and data, you must delete your Instagram account. Here’s how to delete your threads account by deleting Instagram.
1. Open the Instagram app on your smartphone.
2. When the app opens, tap your profile picture bottom right.
3. This will take you to your profile screen. In the top right corner, tap the burger menu.
4. In the menu that appears, tap Settings and privacy.
5. On the Settings & Privacy screen, tap Account Center.
6. Now tap on the Personal information under Account Settings.
7. On the Personal Information screen, tap Account Ownership and Control.
8. Tap on the next screen Deactivation or removal.
9. Now select the account you want to delete.
10. At the prompt, select Deactivate or delete your Instagram account Remove Account and tap Get on.
That is it! This is how you can delete your Instagram account. Deleting the Instagram account will also delete your Threads profile.
Since Instagram powers Threads, you must delete your Instagram account to delete Threads’ profile. However, Instagram’s help page stated that the team is looking for a way to delete the Threads profile individually.
So there’s a chance you’ll get a feature to delete your Threads profile individually in the coming months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will deleting Threads delete Instagram?
Currently there is no option to delete the Threads profile in the Threads app. The only way to delete Threads is to delete the associated Instagram account. So this is not a valid question.
Deactivating Instagram deactivates Threads?
Yes! Deactivating your Instagram account will also deactivate your Threads profile. So if you don’t want to lose your Threads profile, don’t deactivate your Instagram account.
Deactivating Threads deactivates Instagram?
No! Threads require your Instagram account to function; Instagram doesn’t. So deactivating your Threads profile will not affect your Instagram account. Deactivating threads will also not delete your threads data.
What happens if I delete Threads profile?
If you deleted your Instagram account to get rid of your Threads profile, you still have 30 days to cancel the request. You can log in again within 30 days to cancel the deletion request. Instagram automatically deletes all your profile information from its servers after 30 days.
Can I log in again with the same username?
Yes! Once your account is deleted, you can log in again with the same username on Instagram. Not only that, but you can even add that username to another account as long as a new person on Instagram hasn’t used it.
How to delete threads account without deleting Instagram account?
Currently, there is no way to delete Threads account without deleting Instagram. However, the company behind Threads is working on ways to delete Threads profiles individually.
Also Read: How to Download Threads Videos
Meta is working on a way to delete Threads profiles individually, so chances are you’ll see an option to delete Threads profiles in the app. Meanwhile, you can deactivate your Threads profile if you don’t want to use it.