Windows 11 updates are important and are released quite often. If you are using a Beta or Dev Builds of Windows 11, don’t miss any updates as they usually contain bug fixes and new features.
However, the problem that Windows 11 users are now facing is ‘Updates not downloading’. Several Windows 11 users have reported that Windows 11 updates are not downloading on their computers.
So, if you are a Windows 11 user facing the same problem, continue reading the article. Below we have shared some best ways to solve it Windows 11 updates are not downloading or installation problems.
Why Windows 11 Update Won’t Download?
Windows 11 update problems are usually related to internet connectivity and problematic system files. A few other things can also cause Windows 11 update problems.
We have listed some major reasons why the Windows 11 update is not downloading.
- Error or malfunction
- Your internet is not working.
- Windows system files are corrupted.
- Windows services are disabled.
- You are using VPN/Proxy server.
- Less storage space.
These major reasons prevent Windows 11 updates from downloading or installing.
How do I fix Windows 11 updates not downloading issue?
Now that you know all possible reasons for Windows 11 updates not downloading, you can solve the problem more effectively. Here’s how to fix Windows 11 Updates not installing issue.
1. Restart your Windows 11 computer
If you haven’t rebooted your Windows 11 device in a while, now is the perfect time to reboot. Restarting rules out the bugs and glitches that prevent the Windows Update service from running.
Restarting the computer is the best way to eliminate temporary glitches and bugs. It will also refresh the memory and restart the Windows Update Services.
So click on the Windows 11 Start button, Power Menu and select ‘Restart’. After restarting, run the Windows Update again.
2. Check your internet connection
Well, an internet connection is required for downloading Windows Update. If your internet is unstable, the Windows Update tool will have problems downloading the files from its servers.
So if Windows 11 updates are not downloading on your device then you should check for internet issues. You can use any speed test website to determine your internet speed and stability.
3. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
Windows 11 from Microsoft has an update troubleshooter that scans and fixes any problem with the Windows Update service. You can run it to fix Windows 11 updates are not downloading.
1. Click on Windows 11 Start Menu and select ‘Institutions‘.
2. In Settings, switch to the System tab. Select on the right ‘Resolving problems‘.
3. Next, under Troubleshoot, click the ‘Other troubleshooters‘
4. In the Other troubleshooters, click the ‘Walkbutton next to Windows Update.
That is it! This will run the Windows Update troubleshooter. You must follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.
4. Enable the Windows Update Services
Malicious apps can sometimes disable Windows Update services. When the Windows Updater services are disabled, Windows 11 will not check for updates.
Even if you manually run the Windows Update tool, the updates cannot be downloaded. So you need to make sure that the Windows Update Services are enabled and running.
1. Press Windows key + R to open the RUN dialog box. In the dialog box, type RUN services.msc and press the Enter button.
2. This will open the Services app. You need to find and double click on the ‘WindowsUpdate‘ employ.
3. In the Windows Update properties, select ‘Automatically‘ in the Startup type drop-down list and click the ‘ buttonTo apply‘ knob.
4. Now find and double click on the ‘Intelligent transfer service in the background‘.
5. Then in the Background Intelligent Transfer Service Properties select ‘Automatically‘ on the Startup type and click the To apply knob.
That is it! After making the changes, restart your Windows computer.
5. Check your storage space
Windows updates are often huge and it is recommended to have at least 20 GB of free storage space to install the updates smoothly.
If you can download the updates but get errors during the installation, you need to check the storage space.
Windows may not be able to download or install the system updates if you have limited storage space. So free up storage space before downloading the Windows updates.
6. Disable Metered connection
You may have set the Wi-Fi as the metered connection. When you set a network as a metered connection, you reduce data usage. To reserve the WiFi data, Windows may stop searching for available updates.
- You can solve the problem by disabling the metered connection. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Settings and go to the Network & internet.
- On the right, click WiFi/Ethernet.
- Then select your connected WiFi/Ethernet and Switch off the’Measured connection‘.
That is it! Here’s how to disable a metered connection on a Windows 11 computer.
7. Remove update files from the SoftwareDistribution folder
SoftwareDistribution is a folder where Windows 11 stores all update files. Update files are stored in this folder and installed automatically at the time and date you set.
If Windows 11 does not download or install an update, you can try removing the existing update from this folder to resolve the issue. Here’s what to do.
1. First click on Search Windows 11 and type Services. Then open the Services app from the list.
2. In the Services right click on it WindowsUpdate and select ‘Stop‘.
3. Now open the RUN dialog box (Windows key + R)type the following path and press Enter.
4. This will open it Software distribution folder.
5. Right click on all files and select ‘To delete‘
6. Now open Services again, right click on Windows Update and select ‘Get started‘.
That is it! Be sure to restart your computer after making the changes.
8. Run the System File Checker
The System File Checker utility is designed to find and repair damaged system files. It is convenient and easy to solve Windows 11 updates install no problems. Here’s what to do.
1. Click on Search Windows 11 and type CMD. Right-click on the command prompt and select “Run as administrator.”
2. When the Command Prompt opens, paste the command and press Enter.
That is it! This will run the System File Checker tool on your computer. You have to wait patiently for the scan to complete.
These are a few easy methods to fix Windows 11 updates not downloading or installing issues. We are sure that these methods will help you install all Windows 11 updates easily. If the methods didn’t help you, you can ask a question on the Microsoft Forum or rollback your OS version.
Also Read: Windows 11 ISO Free Download Full Version
If you need more help troubleshooting Windows 11 update issues, let us know in the comments below. And if the article helped you, share it with your friends.