There are several gaming platforms available for gamers, but Discord is the best. Over the years, Discord has served as a great platform to connect with gamers and have free voice/video and text chat.
If you are a gamer, you may know that Discord can be accessed in several ways. You can use it on your mobile, the app on your desktop or the web version. In this article, we discuss the Discord desktop client installation error.
Recently, many Discord users found the ‘Discord installation failed‘ error message. Users have reported that while installing the Discord app on a PC, the installation shows an error message saying “Installation Failed. There was an error installing the application’.
So if you are getting “Installation Failed” error while installing Discord on PC, continue reading the guide. Below we have shared a few simple steps to fix the Discord Installation Failed error. Let’s start.
Why does the Discord installation failed error appear?
The “Installation Failed” error on Discord can appear for several reasons. Below we have listed some key things that led to Installation failed Discord error.
- Corrupted Discord installation file.
- Incompatibility issues.
- Outdated drivers
- Damaged system files
- Antivirus/firewall programs
Fix Fix ‘Discord installation failed’ Error
Since you do not know the actual cause, you need to follow all these methods to fix the Discord Installation Failed error message on Windows. Let’s start.
1. Close the Discord app from the Task Manager
If Discord isn’t installed, it shouldn’t be running in the Task Manager, right? The problem is that if you previously installed Discord on your device, the data from the previous installation may not be completely removed.
Therefore, Discord may already be installed on your device. You will see the Discord ‘Installation failed’ error if the program is already installed. Therefore, you should end all Discord related processes and clear the app data.
1. Open Task Manager on your Windows device. Then select ‘Discord’ and click ‘End task‘.
2. Next, press the Windows key + R button on your keyboard. This opens the RUN dialog box.
3. In the RUN dialog box, type %app data% and press Enter.
4. Now in AppData folder find and delete it Disagreement folder.
5. Open the RUN dialog again, type %localappdata%and press Enter.
6. Then right click on it Disagreement folder and select ‘remove‘.
That is it! After making the above changes, restart your Windows computer. Reinstall Discord after the reboot.
2. Run Discord in compatibility mode
If you are still getting the Discord Installation has failed error message even after clearing all Discord App data. You should try running the executable in compatibility mode. Here’s what to do.
1. Download the latest version of Discord Installer from the Discord website first.
2. Once downloaded, right click on DiscordSetup.exe and select ‘Properties‘.
3. In Properties, go to the Compatibility tab.
4. Then check the box that says: ‘Run this program in compatibility mode‘.
5. Select from the drop-down list Windows 8 and click the Apply knob.
That is it! This is how you can run Discord in compatibility mode in the Windows operating system.
3. Add Discord to the Windows Security exclusion list
Windows Security is a great antivirus program from Microsoft. It comes with Windows 10 and Windows 11 and offers complete protection for your PC.
If Windows security blocks DiscordSetup.exe, you will get an “Installation Failed” error from Discord. The best way to avoid such things is to add Discord to the Windows Security exclusion list. Here’s what to do.
1. Click Search Windows and type Windows security. Then open the Windows security app from the list.
2. Click the ‘Manage settingslink under the Virus & Threat Protection settings.
3. Now under the ‘Exclusions’ click on ‘Add or remove exclusions‘.
4. Then click on the ‘Add an exclusion’ button and select the DiscordSetup.exe file you are trying to install.
That is it! Here’s how to add Discord.exe to the exclusion list in the Windows security app. Once done, try installing the Discord app again.
4. Run the Discord installation file as administrator
If you are still getting the “Discrod installation failed” error during the installation part, try running the executable file with administrative access.
In Windows, it’s easy to give administrator-level access to files. To do that, download the latest version of Discord on your device. Right click on the installation file and select ‘Run as administrator‘.
This will run the Discord setup wizard with administrative privileges. You must follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
5. Update Windows operating system
If none of the above solutions worked for you and you are still unable to install Discord on your system, the best thing to do is to update your Windows version.
Updating the Windows version will probably rule out the compatibility issues. Navigate to to update your Windows device Settings > Windows Update > Check for updates.
Now Windows automatically checks for all updates. Make sure to install all pending updates, including the driver updates.
6. Install other versions of Discord
There are not one but three different Discord apps available for Windows. You can use the public test build or the Canary build if Discord’s stable build won’t install on your device.
Alternatively, you can use the web version of Discord. The web version offers all features and requires no installation. So if you want to use Discord in an emergency, use the web version.
Also Read: 10 Best Discord Music Bots
So, these are some of the best ways to fix the Discord Installation Failed error message. If you need more help fixing this Discord error, let us know in the comments. If the article helped you, please share it with your friends as well.