Messenger is the most popular instant messaging app and is available in several languages. A lot of settings on Messenger depend on your Facebook account.
For example, if you have set the English language on Facebook, it will even appear on Messenger. This is because Messenger relies on your Facebook account to function.
The problem that users often face is that the Messenger app shows the wrong language. When the app uses the wrong language, users find it very difficult to operate it. Users need help finding the option to change the language of the messenger app.
Change the language on Facebook Messenger?
Changing the language on Facebook immediately changes the language for the Messenger website. However, if you use the Messenger app, you need to change the language on your smartphone.
At the time of writing, Facebook only allows users to change language settings via computer. Here’s how change the language on Messenger.
Change the language on Messenger for Android
Messenger app for Android offers no option to change language; hence you need to change the language on your phone to display it in the messenger app. Here’s what to do.
1. First open the Institutions app on your Android smartphone.
2. In the Settings app, tap the System settings.
3. Then scroll down and tap ‘Language & Region‘.
4. Under the language settings you will see all available languages. If you can’t find the language you want to add, tap ‘Add a language‘.
5. Then, select the language you want to add.
6. Now select the language you want to set as default. In the confirmation prompt, tap ‘Change to (language)‘.
That is it! Now you need to reboot your Android smartphone. After the reboot, the new language will reflect on the Messenger app.
Change language on Messenger for iPhone
If you use Messenger on your iPhone, follow these steps to change the language of the Messenger app. Here’s what to do.
1. First of all, open the Settings app on your iPhone. Tap Settings on General.
2. On the General screen, tap Language & Region.
3. Then, select your preferred language about Language & Region. If the language is not available, tap the Add language choice.
4. Select the language you want to add to the Select Language screen.
5. After adding, set the new language as default.
After making the above changes, restart your iPhone. After rebooting, you will see the Messenger app using the new language.
Change the language on Messenger for desktop
The Messenger desktop app allows you to change the language in simple steps. You do not need to change your system language for this. Here’s what to do.
1. First click on Search Windows and type Messenger. Then open the Messenger app from the list.
2. When the Messenger desktop app opens, click your profile picture in the lower left corner.
3. Select from the list of options that appears Preferences.
4. In Preferences, tap Language.
5. Then, in the Language drop-down list, select the language you want to set.
That is it! The new language is reflected in the Messenger desktop app.
Also Read: How to Recover Deleted Messages on Messenger
So, this guide is about how to change Messenger language on mobile and desktop. If you need more help changing the message language to English, let us know in the comments. And if the article helped you, share it with your friends.